The NE Greens Project is an independent Project of the Delhi Greens organisation and was initiated in the year 2010 to promote sustainable development of North-east India. Delhi Greens is a registered environmental non-profit organisation (Reg. No. 3,566) set up in the year 2008 with a vision of Achieving Environmental Harmony and Sustainable Development.
Motivation Behind NE Greens
The North-east Region of India comprises the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim and is known to many as the ‘unsung song of Indian history’. Tucked away in the ‘remote’ Northeast and joined with “mainland” India only by a 21 km long ‘chicken neck’ corridor, the region is blended with diverse geographical and multicultural features, and is a beautiful mosaic of Mother Nature. It will be a grave mistake and a defeated challenge to present the region in a single definition or description. And neither we, nor anyone should ever make such an erroneous attempt.
Environmental destruction, pollution, water scarcity, biodiversity loss, depleting forest cover, cultural pollution, social unrest are but a few of the issues demanding immediate attention in India’s North-east Region. At the same time, a relative reluctance of the Government to act and a simultaneous (and consequent) exodus of a majority of the youth population has been only adding fuel to the fire. Now, with the threat of climate change looming large, the only option is to come together for sustainable development of the region, before time runs out and most, if not all, is lost.
Respecting the diversity and honouring the natural bliss of the region, NE Greens was launched in 2010 as a platform to promote sustainable development of India’s Northeast, highlight and discuss the environmental challenges being faced by the eight states and make a region wide attempt to protect the cultural and biodiversity of North-east India. NE Greens has since then been working to amplify the Green Voices from the biodiversity rich and culturally diverse North-east India.
- Sustainable Development of North-east India
- To remove the bias and discrimination against the people and development of North-east India
- To make the people of North-east India take pride in the cultural diversity of the North-east region
- To protect and conserve the environment, biodiversity and natural resources of North-east India
- To provide a platform to the people of North-east India for raising and highlighting environmental issues and sustainable development challenges.
- To generate environmental awareness and sensitivity in the youth of North-east India and inspire, empower and engage them in environmental protection and sustainable development.
- To conduct participatory research for solving the environment and socioeconomic challenges being faced by the people of North-east India.
For any further information, or to learn more about the NE Greens project, please write an email to mail(at)negreens.com. You can also leave your message as a comment below.