Welcome to NE Greens!
NE Greens is an initiative taken in 2010 for protecting the fragile environment of North-east India and to promote sustainable development of the North-east region.
The North-east Region of India comprises the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim. It is known to many as the unsung song of Indian history. Tucked away in the northeastern most part and joined with mainland India only by a 21 km long chicken neck corridor, the North-east has remained bereft of the development story of India since long.
The North-east region is blended with diverse geographical and multicultural features and is a beautiful mosaic of Mother Nature. It will be a mistake, often made by many, to present or define the region in a single definition or description. Recent initiatives of the Government, and efforts of the people themselves is now slowly helping in the development of the region.
However, climate change, environmental degradation, pollution, water scarcity, biodiversity loss, depleting forest cover, cultural pollution, social unrest are some of the issues that have already reached North-east India. At the same time, inadequate planning and policy implementation as well as local conflicts are only making matters worse.
There is a need to lay greater emphasis on the environmental challenges being faced by all the states of North-east and sensitize the citizens and the government about ongoing and emerging environmental challenges. There is also a need to promote only sustainable development in the North-east Region and discourage development practices that do not respect and protect cultural and biological diversity of the region.
With this as the background, NE Greens was launched in 2010 as an initiative and a platform to protect the environment of North-east India and promote sustainable development of the region. NE Greens has been working to amplify the Green Voices from all the states of North-east India and organise projects and activities aimed at the preservation and protection of environment and biodiversity.
- To remove the bias and discrimination against the people and development of North-east India.
- To make the people of North-east India take pride in the cultural diversity of the North-east region.
- To protect and conserve the environment, biodiversity and natural resources of North-east India.
- To provide a platform to the people of North-east India for raising and highlighting environmental issues.
- To generate environmental awareness and sensitivity in the citizens of North-east India and inspire, empower and engage them towards environmental protection and sustainable development.
- To conduct participatory research for solving environment and socioeconomic challenges being faced by the people of North-east India.
For any further information, or to learn more about our work, please write an email to mail(at)negreens.com or use the Contact page to get in touch with us. You can also leave your message in the comment section below.