Emu Rearing: Innovative Poultry Farming in Northeast India

Most of the states in Northeast India have been practicing hunting for food and as well as in cultural associations during festival. However, the age old hunting practice has now become a threat to several endangered species in the region. Birds like the Hornbill are now rarely found, in regions where they once frequented in huge numbers.

The biodiversity of this biodiversity hotspot is under threat of extinction and something surely needs to be done before its too late. One such sustainable way of preserving many ‘endangered’ species is to promote poultry initiatives in an economically viable and socially beneficial manner.

Emu is the second largest bird in the world, with a height of 5-6 meters and a full-grown weight of 40-60 kg. It is known to be the most beneficial poultry since no part of it is wasted. Among the poultry birds, Emu has the highest resistance to diseases. An adult female Emu starts laying eggs normally from November to February and lays upto 30 to 40 eggs at the average rate of three eggs in a week.

An Emu egg which can be fertilised can fetch upto Rs. 2,500 in the market. The meat of Emu right now is so expensive that it is sold in the market at the rate of Rs. 1,000 per kg and the delicacies made are served in five star hostels. With time and proper introduction in the country, and as business picks pace, the price will surely go down.

The state of Manipur has taken the initiative to introduce sustainable practices in this direction with the introduction of ‘Emu Rearing’. Emu rearing had been successfully carried out by KVK Sylvan at Henbung, Senapati and Foundation for Environment and Economic Development Services (FEEDS) in Manipur. They now look forward to popularizing Emu farming in the entire Northeast region. Although considered to be a rare and expensive bird in India, Emu farming is popular in states like Tamil Nadu, Maharastra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.

Talking about the newly launched practice, Dr. R.K. Imotomba Singh, Programme Co-Ordinator of KVK Sylvan and FFEDS, Manipur informed that Emu have to be fed thrice a day with crushed wheat and maize or with poultry feeds available in the market and properly washed leafy vegetables.

By the time they are 18 to 24 months old, Emus become sexually mature adults. And one unique character of Emu quite different from other domestic birds is that although the female lays the eggs, it is the male which is responsible for hatching them. After a female Emu lays 7 to 9 eggs, the male Emu takes over the task of hatching the eggs.

So far KVK Sylvan and FEEDS, Manipur have provided training to around 20 poultry farmers from different parts of Manipur with an eye on promotion of Emu farming widely in the State. Dr. R.K Imotomba said that plans are afoot for organising more such training programmes and popularisation of Emu farming not just in Manipur but also in other parts of the North East region. This will help not only in improving the economic condition of the people but also the protection of the native biodiversity of the region.

However, what needs to be taken care is to ensure that introduction of such a bird species (especially in the event that it goes wild) does not have any interfering impact on the existing wildlife and biodiversity. The first few years of such an introduction should therefore be carefully monitored.

Nagaland and some other States have also given positive response to the proposal of SAF Emu Farm at Chennai for supplying Emu chicks to the Northeastern States. After Manipur, EMU farming has now been introduced in Assam. A private organization has started rearing 11 pairs of EMU birds, at a farm located in the outskirts of Guwahati.

The government has also listed the emu farming in poultry sector and has started providing loans for it. With such an initiative in place, it is to be seen in the coming days as to how many will ‘hunt’ for loans to secure economic gains for themselves and biodiversity conservation in the region.

Image by K Bunch courtesy Flickr via Creative Commons

31 comments

• For EMU Farming contact us on the following numbers:
    +91-9328215676 (English, Hindi & Gujarati)
    +91-9375875996 (Telugu)

Also you can view our website at:

• Murtaza

emu egg price is 600 rupees
    since no one is buying emu eggs.

• Murtaza

emu egg price is 600 rupees
    since no one is buying emu eggs.
    in which part of india emu meat is sold ?
    if sold who is buying ?

• Dear Murtaza,

we would like to buy about 1000 Emu Eggs @600 Per Piece. Please let us know how early you can deliver it to us ?

HEF

• Tejwant singh

Were in haryana you have farm as I want few pairs kindly contact me on my watsapp 9419137675

• d. r. nimbalkar.

we can supply large quantity of fertile emu eggs. but you will have to collect them from satara in maharashtra. kindly contact on following numbers.
    d.r.nimbalkar.
    8007109255
    9850572000
    9226572051
    9890055655

• Aaditya

I want to start the emu business but the problem am facing is i dont know the market value of emu egg and where to sold it? and why people buy emmu egg whats in that is it come in some kind of use ?? can anyone tell me the details please ….

• i want start emu business but i ask you what rate emu and what problem emu

• Anybody interested in starting Emu Farming can contact me for details,and also the positive and negative aspects of emu farming.
    CALL AT-
    09915999944

• sandanshu kalita

I Iwant to emu farming in Assam . I want help from yuyou. My no 8753986632

• akhtab

i have 100 bigha of land n want to start emu farm bt how n what bank can help me which way..?

• akhtab

please let know how to get help from bank to start emu farming i got 100 bigha’s of land beside river
    contact no:- +918811812312
    mailID:-akhtab.hussain@yahoo.co.in

• We sell quality emu chicks, emu birds, emu meat & emu oil in very reasonable price.
    We offer very attractive price for the bulk buyers.

For more information call us @ 099967-00023/089505-00078

Haryana Emu Farms,
    Yamuna Nagar,
    Haryana

• Zanben

I m from Nagaland , I want to buy emu bird chicks where I can search

• Sws Emu Farm & Hatchery

Please feel Fred to Call at m’y number 8812880465. I am from Guwahati itself.. I have m’y own farming at Guwahati. I can supply you ému birds and ému chicks. We will assist to setup your ému farming

• korou

can i buy this emu bird if can could you please email me at koroutongbram@gmail.com

• Ihave 50 square feet of vacant land next to my residene in delhi can I rear one pair of emu birds if yes then please send me the details immediately

• darshan

Emu Eggs available at very reasonable price. feel free to contact.

• we deal in emu birds& emu eggs. If anybody interested contact me….

• B V V PRASAD

We want to sell Emu Birds . If you are interested, Please call or contact through e mail.
      My contact Numbers
      09884026689/08807026689
      Email – boppudi114@gmail.com

• Shankar J Das

As Emu farming is very concept for me pl.inform me more about it as early as possible specially frm guwahati.

• Sws Emu Farm & Hatchery

I am sjariful Islam from Guwahati. I have m’y own ému Farm at Guwahati. If you are interested to know More than kindly Call me at. 8812880465

• dharmesh

hi, we can supply 150-200 fresh emu eggs per week. contact on 9558823996 if interested.

thx

• I have 1000 eggs,more than 2500 chicks between age of 40-90 days,6-9 months old chicks & 100 birds of 15months for sale
    If interested contact us on 9822843435&Mayur-9860416975,9226744193

• Dr. Venkata Ramana

We have 600 chicks with one month age and 60 birds with 3years age. if any body want, we can sell with good rate..

• Tejwant singh

I want two pairs but at jammu can you please supply my contact number is 9419137675

• We offer a very attractive price of emu birds detail is below:-
    1. 3 months chicks – 5000/pair
    2. 12 months emu – 12,000/pair
    3. 24 months emu – 15,000/pair
    4. 36 month emu – 18,000/pair
    If any body interested to open a new emu farm then contact
    08871848381

• Tejwant singh

We want 2 pair of emo in Jammu can you please supply us 2 pairs my contact number is 9419137675

• yogesh bhandari

Want to rare emo in Sikkim. Supplier may contact

• Bishal kalita

I want to start a emu business… but from where will i get the emu…. plzzz contact at8486202627

• Sws Emu Farm & Hatchery

I am shariful islam from Guwahati
      Here i have m’y own ému Farm. For Any information plz Call me 8812880465